miércoles, 30 de abril de 2025

World trade slowing down as Trump shakes the pillars of shipping and logistics

 BLOG T.L. , World trade slowing down as Trump shakes the pillars of shipping and logistics

J
Juan Carlos Leon Siles<juan.leon@adexperu.org.pe>
Mié 30/04/2025 15:26
Este mensaje está en Inglés

CONTAINER

World trade slowing down as Trump shakes the pillars of shipping and logistics

Container lines, freight forwarders and major ports are experiencing dramatic drops in cargo volumes due to canceled shipments. DSV predicts possible recession in the US.



Donald Trump has been President of the United States for 100 days and has already plunged global supply chains into deep crisis. | Photo: Evelyn Hockstein/Reuters/Ritzau Scanpix

BY JENS THOMSEN AND METTE GRUBE CONDRUP

30 APRIL 2025AT 13:52

The grim signs that the US president has triggered a major crisis in global trade are now unequivocal.

Consistent messages from container lines, major ports, shippers and importers around the world all point in one direction:

Trump’s punitive tariffs – and especially his towering tariffs on Chinese goods – are severely impacting global trade, as customers have pulled the emergency brake and are holding back their shipments from China to avoid being hit with punitive tariffs in the US.

It’s a very big concern for our customers. Many of them are at risk of going bankrupt or suffering serious financial consequences.

Jens Lund, CEO, DSV

Container carriers are among the first victims of the trade war.

On Wednesday, Japanese-owned container line Ocean Network Alliance (ONE) announced that the trade war could shave three-quarters off the company’s expected post-tax profits by 2025.

ONE hopes to reach a net profit of USD 1.1bn this year, but that forecast is based on a “relatively stable business environment during the fiscal year”, according to a management statement.

However, if the trade war continues and reduces cargo volumes on key freight routes, the company’s management expects a net profit of just USD 250m.

And ONE is not alone in sounding the alarm.

German container carrier Hapag-Lloyd announced last week that its Chinese customers had canceled 30% of their shipments from China due to US punitive tariffs, while there was a “massive increase” in demand for cargo from Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam. 

In response to the steep decline in China, Hapag-Lloyd has deployed smaller ships on its China routes, as has Hapag-Lloyd’s alliance partner, Maersk.

“We will continue to optimize the utilization of our network by, for example, replacing larger ships with smaller ones to better adapt to the current demand situation in some categories on the China-US routes,” Maersk said in a statement Tuesday.

Hapag-Lloyd announced on Wednesday that it expects a weaker result this year compared to 2024 due to the trade war and global uncertainty.

Risk of recession

At freight forwarder DSV, set to become the world’s largest with the acquisition of its German competitor DB Schenker, chief executive Jens Lund is very concerned about the consequences of the US trade war.

He predicts that many of the company’s customers are in danger of going under.

“It’s a very big concern for our customers. Many of them are at risk of going bankrupt or suffering serious financial consequences. Therefore, many of those who have export volumes from China are currently holding back their shipments,” Lund said on Wednesday during a press conference in connection with the publication of DSV’s first quarter results.

Lund is also concerned that the trade war could lead to inflation and economic recession in the US.

“I think in the medium term it could lead to a situation where you will have inflation in the US and potentially a recession,” said DSV’s chief exec and continued:

“That is what most economists are saying and I can confirm that view.”

In the long term, Lund expects the effects of the trade war to fade, but in the short and medium term the consequences could be severe.

Sharp decline in major ports

Via container lines and freight forwarders, the freight crisis is moving through the supply chains to the large ports on the US West Coast that receive the majority of US imports from China and Asia.

Here, lower US imports from China mean that port activity is set to fall sharply.

At the largest container port in the US, the Port of Los Angeles, which includes the Port of Long Beach, chief executive Gene Seroka expects terminals to feel the drop in cargo volumes in a matter of days.

Now major importers are saying, ‘I’m waiting, hit the pause button'

Gene Seroka, CEO, Port of Los Angeles

As early as next week, the Port of Los Angeles expects a 35% drop in the number of containers compared to the same week last year, according to the New York Times.

The reason, according to Gene Seroka, is that US importers and manufacturers have suspended their imports of Chinese goods due to Donald Trump’s punitive tariffs.

“Now major importers are saying, ‘I’m waiting, hit the pause button’,” says Seroka to the media outlet.

The port director adds that he sees no imminent change in the situation.

Figures from analyst firm Vizion confirm the gloomy reports from Gene Seroka and the container carriers.

According to the Financial Times, Vizion’s numbers show that orders for containers from China to the US were down 45% by mid-April compared to the same time a year ago.

It takes two weeks for a container ship to sail from China to the US West Coast, so the expected drop in cargo volumes at the Port of Los Angeles in the coming week means importers made a snap decision to halt shipments as soon as Trump unleashed his trade war.

“This is simply a scenario of sheer demand destruction at the moment,” Jason Miller, a professor of supply chain management at Michigan State University, tells the New York Times.

He points out that the steep drop in freight volumes will ripple from the ports through supply chains to businesses further inland.

If the trade war continues, lower demand will cost revenue and jobs, he warns.

Trump threatens Christmas

The summer months are the peak season for the container market, as this is when goods for the Christmas trade in particular are shipped from Asia to the US.

Therefore, the production of toys and Christmas decorations for the US market is usually in full swing in factories in China at this time.

But not this year. Donald Trump’s trade war is putting a damper on Christmas production, says Greg Ahearn, chief executive officer of the US toy manufacturers’ trade association, the Toy Association.

“We have a frozen supply chain that is putting Christmas at risk,” Ahearn says according to the New York Times:

“If we don’t start production soon, there’s a high probability of a toy shortage this holiday season.”

The Toy Association represents about 850 toy manufacturers in the US.

Chinese factories produce nearly 80 percent of all toys in the US and 90% of Christmas merchandise. Production, packing and transportation of the goods for Christmas shopping from China to the US takes a total of four to five months, according to the New York Times.

 

 

jueves, 24 de abril de 2025

Logística Colaborativa

 Logística Colaborativa  

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/elpuertodechile_puertosanantonio-colsa-logaedsticacolaborativa-activity-7320821332873547777-gIA3?utm_source=share&utm_medium=member_desktop&rcm=ACoAAAC2BS8BUgjt9jdYHOlXTNCZ1Vx_79FSfC0

A continuación comentario de apoyo a Peru de Consultor Internacional Octavio Doerr 
La reciente experiencia impulsada por COLSA y Puerto San Antonio es un ejemplo concreto de cómo la gobernanza colaborativa puede traducirse en mejoras operativas sostenibles. El acuerdo entre empresas de depósitos y gremios de transportistas, con protocolos claros de faltas y sanciones, no solo ordena la convivencia diaria, sino que reduce tensiones, agiliza flujos y fortalece la confianza entre actores clave del sistema logístico.

Este tipo de práctica ofrece una guía valiosa para puertos como el Callao, donde la congestión estructural —agravada por la alta concentración de carga, accesos urbanos saturados y escasa coordinación entre actores logísticos— ha generado tiempos de espera que, en algunos casos, superan las 8 horas para los transportistas. Las ineficiencias no solo afectan la competitividad del comercio exterior peruano, sino que también deterioran las condiciones laborales de miles de conductores y elevan los costos logísticos del país.

Implementar mesas de trabajo permanentes con representación equilibrada —terminales, depósitos extraportuarios, gremios de transportistas, autoridades locales— permitiría avanzar en soluciones operativas consensuadas: ordenamiento de horarios de atención, criterios de prioridad, protocolos ante incumplimientos, mejoras en la digitalización de procesos y trazabilidad de cargas.

No se trata solo de infraestructura, sino de coordinación, transparencia y compromiso territorial. La clave está en construir acuerdos operativos que generen reglas compartidas, previsibilidad y mejora continua. San Antonio lo demuestra: cuando los actores se sientan a la mesa y definen estándares comunes, se abren caminos para resolver incluso los cuellos de botella más complejos.

Callao necesita más que proyectos físicos: necesita también espacios de entendimiento logístico.

Callao afronta el reto de conectarse con el puerto de Chancay, afirma gobernador regional

 Callao afronta el reto de conectarse con el puerto de Chancay, afirma gobernador regional

 

https://andina.pe/agencia/noticia-callao-afronta-reto-conectarse-con-puerto-chancay-afirma-gobernador-regional-1027039.aspxFoto:

ANDINA  , Lima, abr. 23.

 

Ciro Castillo hizo balance de gestión y habló de desafíos de la región en aniversario como provincia constitucional

 

El crecimiento del puerto de Chancay representa una oportunidad para el país, pero también pone a prueba la capacidad instalada del puerto del Callao.

    

El gobernador regional del Callao, Ciro Castillo Rojo, advirtió que la región chalaca enfrenta el gran desafío de integrarse vialmente hacia el norte del país, específicamente con el puerto de Chancay, ante el rápido avance de este nuevo polo de desarrollo industrial y tecnológico.

Durante la celebración por el 168 aniversario del Callao como provincia constitucional, Castillo destacó que el crecimiento de Chancay representa una oportunidad para el país, pero también pone a prueba la capacidad instalada del primer puerto nacional.

“Este nuevo reto debemos asumirlo con alegría, pero no tomarlo a la ligera. Es momento de mirar con seriedad la infraestructura que necesitamos desarrollar”, expresó ante los medios.

El gobernador precisó que actualmente el Callao no cuenta con una vía de descarga pesada que conecte directamente con la carretera hacia el norte por el litoral del Pacífico. “Tampoco tenemos una ruta de cabotaje para el transporte de carga a lo largo del litoral, ni una vía de transporte masivo marítimo de personas, como un ferry que una Pachacútec con la Plaza Grau”.

Castillo Rojo también se refirió al colapso de la avenida Néstor Gambetta, principal eje vial del Callao, la cual, dijo, se encuentra “totalmente atorada” debido a la alta concentración de vehículos de carga y la mala organización del tránsito. 

“Las pistas no pueden seguir funcionando como patios de maniobra. Es necesario pensar en soluciones estructurales”, subrayó.

En esa línea, saludó la labor de la Marina de Guerra del Perú, que ya viene implementando proyectos como puertos secos o infraestructuras similares, y exhortó a las autoridades locales, regionales y nacionales a unir esfuerzos. “No se trata de buscar culpables. Lo decimos de todo corazón: queremos que el Callao progrese. Por eso todos tenemos que poner el hombro”.

 

Nuevo aeropuerto Jorge Chávez

El gobernador regional se refirió también a la próxima inauguración del nuevo aeropuerto internacional Jorge Chávez con puerta de ingreso por la avenida Morales Duárez. Al respecto dijo que si bien "les está generando serios problemas", será necesario "tratar de resolverlo entre todos".

"Y si son nuestros problemas tenemos que tratar de resolverlo entre todos sin estarnos soplando la pluma. Es cierto que el Ministerio de Transportes y Comunicaciones juega un papel importante y lo debe hacer. En ese sentido se están haciendo todas las propuestas", refirió.

 

Pistas y veredas

En otro momento de su intervención, Castillo Rojo, resaltó las inversiones realizadas por su gestión en infraestructura vial y la coordinación con los gobiernos locales, que han permitido ejecutar obras de impacto directo para la población chalaca.

Informó que el Gobierno Regional ha transferido 71 millones de soles a las distintas municipalidades del primer puerto. “Las están ejecutando unas antes que otras, pero todas las están ejecutando, y aplaudo esa actitud que han tenido los alcaldes. Cuando se hacen las cosas unidas, siempre van a salir mejor”.

Uno de los principales ejes de inversión, destacó, ha sido el mejoramiento de pistas y veredas. El gobernador destacó una inversión de aproximadamente 170 millones de soles en obras viales en el distrito de Ventanilla, que benefician directamente a entre 400.000 y 500.000 habitantes de la zona.

Asimismo, subrayó la reciente inauguración de la avenida Carlos Izaguirre, una obra ejecutada de manera conjunta con la Municipalidad Provincial del Callao. “Nosotros transferimos el dinero y la municipalidad ejecutó. Esta megaobra, que demandó casi 11 millones de soles, es una nueva alternativa de conexión entre el Callao y Lima, y hay que reconocer la decisión del alcalde de concluir un tramo adicional que no estaba contemplado inicialmente, lo cual demuestra compromiso con la población”.

La ceremonia por el 168 aniversario se desarrolló en la Fortaleza Real Felipe, hasta donde acudieron el alcalde provincial del Callao y los alcaldes distritales, los integrantes del Consejo Regional, y representantes del Congreso, del Poder Judicial, del Ejército Nacional, de la Marina de Guerra, entre otras autoridades nacionales, regionales, vecinales.